Sunday, September 15, 2013

Stephen the thinker

Lately Stephen has been saying some really cute things... On Saturday, I took him and Rockam to Aldi, and as I was unloading the shopping cart I noticed my bagged salads were squished beneath other items. I was fretting about my lettuce when Stephen tried to comfort me: "Mom, it will be ok. You'll still enjoy your lettuce, right?" 

"Yeah, Steve, it's really not that bad. I'll still be able to eat it."

"Yeah. Just like God still loves us even when we're naughty. It's just like that," my son says.

I laugh and say, "yep, just like that."

Then he starts laughing at himself his analogy, and says "that's kind of silly. God did that because He likes to laugh!"

Tonight he was talking about how he would have a wife when he grows up. Then he asked me if God would make his wife. "How does God make her head?" This was followed by a series of questions... How does God make her neck, shoulders, stomach, legs, hands, fingers, ankles, feet and toes! Then he lamented that he had to grow up before he could marry his wife. With that, Steve sits down on the kitchen floor, hugging his knees and says, "I'm NEVER going to have a wife!!!" And puts on this truly dejected look. 

When your five, I suppose adulthood does seem an eternity away! I bent down to comfort my son... Then joe calls him into the living room to Skype with nonna and papa. In typical Non Sequitur Stephen fashion he springs to his feet and shouts "nonna! Papa! I'm going to be a hamster!!!" And with that happy thought, all is well in the world again. 

No comments: